Famous author Anais Nin said, “The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but to say what we are unable to say.” As a writer myself, this quote describes exactly what we as writers try to do. We try to speak words that no one else has yet written, words that say exactly what we are unable to say.
No matter what you want to write about, there are 3 key steps to teach you how to write the absolute best book. Yes, you can retrieve ideas stored deep in your mind and bring them out into the world, effortlessly flowing into the hearts of readers everywhere.
1. Believe in yourself and just do it. This is one of the hardest steps because we often lack the faith and trust in ourselves. Sometimes we think that we aren’t good enough to write a book. Maybe our fear lies in grammar or spelling. Maybe we are hesitant about our lack of vocabulary. We could just be afraid people won’t like it.
The truth is that all of those fears could be legitimate concerns. But you have a voice to share with the world! We all do! You can get people to edit your book if it’s style or grammar that you’re afraid of. But I suggest you get organized and start writing your book today! You can do anything that you set your mind to do. Start writing and you will begin to believe in yourself.
2. Learn from a Pro. Learning from a mentor or coach can cut your writing time in half! You can learn the ins and outs from how to get the first page written to searching for that perfect publisher. A mentor can share useful tools and strategies that you will need to write your first book fast. Learning from those who have already done what you dream of doing is one of the best ways to succeed.
3. Never Give up. Persevere. When you get writer’s block, sometimes writing about a different topic, what you did on your date last night, for example, will give you the inspiration you need to continue to write your book. Don’t think about what or why you’re writing, just write. As you endure and keep moving forward, you will find that absolutely nothing can stop you. Before you know it your beautiful, unique book will be finished, and you will have succeeded.
Truth is that it doesn’t matter if you desire to write a non-fiction book, a novel, a children’s book or really any category. Writing takes the 3 steps above to be a successful author.
Learning how to write a book entails much more than having an idea or being able to use proper grammar. It is having the courage to accomplish your dreams and say the words that often times cannot be spoken. In the words of Spencer K. Kimball, “Just do it!”
- Writing Coach Garrett Pierson & Author Beth Neibert
- Top Ten Tips on How to Write a Book
- 15 Things I Wish I Would Have Known Starting Out…
- Three Important Gems I’ve Learned From Gracie
- So How Can You Get Creative, Get Inspired and Get Writing?